Wanting to add more pollinator habitat at home? Look no further: native plant seed packets will be available in Petersburg this week! You can find displays at the Petersburg Public Library, 1st and 3rd Boutique, the Talisman, and the Crazy Daisy Gift Shop. This year we are offering a dozen colorful species collected primarily from the plantings on Petersburg’s square. The packets are free, but we welcome donations that support Menard County Trails & Greenways. The displays will be restocked until we run out!
Wondering how to choose? Follow along as we highlight these 12 species in upcoming posts!
Wondering how to plant them? Follow the detailed planting instructions on the back of each packet. Plus, a future blog post will focus on sowing native seeds. Feel free to ask questions here or join us at the winter sowing workshop–registration required–only 4 spots left!
Here are the species available this year:
- Amsonia tabernaemontana, Blue star
- Asclepias incarnata, Swamp Milkweed
- Asclepias tuberosa, Butterfly weed
- Baptisia tinctoria, Small yellow wild indigo
- Coreopsis lanceolata, Lanceleaf Coreopsis
- Dalea purpurea, Purple Prairie Clover
- Echinacea purpurea, Purple Coneflower
- Eryngium yuccifolium, Rattlesnake Master
- Helenium autumnale, Sneezeweed
- Rudbeckia fulgida, Gold coneflower
- Symphyotrichum oblongifolium, Aromatic Aster
- Zizia aurea, Golden Alexanders
This is made possible in partnership with Starhill Forest Arboretum and Rudin Printing.